Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Pleasure of Paper / Part I


"The Night Before Surgery" Acrylic on Saunders Waterford

Canvas or paper? Each time I develop an image, either mentally or through sketching, with the purpose of beginning to paint, that is the question I ask myself.

While canvas is certainly more popular to art buyers than paper, I absolutely adore the absorbency and resiliency of paper. In addition to allowing a larger variety of techniques than canvas, paper is much stronger than it appears. These are just some of the reasons I love working with paper so much.


My love of paper began several years ago when I began experimenting with several different brands and types, finding a few that have become favorites over the years.


For a variety of works, I love Aquarius II paper because of its strength and versatility. I can decorate it, do calligraphy on it or complete paintings on it. It is a soft, strong paper that absorbs multiple layers of color very well. The trick to achieving a substantial-looking matte finish is painting extremely thinned opaque white coats between each layer of color. Contrary to popular belief, this will not dull your colors. They will remain vibrant if the white coats are applied extremely thin. Aquarius II paper gives this technique a strong look on a soft paper. Bear in mind that I'm using acrylics in a manner similiar to watercolor.


Decorated Aquarius II paper is the absolute best for using as covers for handbound books. The entire process is a joyful experience from choosing a decorative technique for the cover to actually putting the measured cover onto the book. The very first handbound book that I presented to the public was a labor of love, selling at auction for a price well beyond my expectations.


For painting, traditional watercolor papers are my first choice, although I sometimes use acid-free boards, as well as canvas (see my painting below, "Within My Heart, I Give Thanks"). These papers include Kilimanjaro, Twinrocker, Arches and Gemini (which never fails to result in a lovely finish). Both Gemini and Saunders Waterford are my favorite papers for painting. The Twinrocker is magnificent, but expensive - and rightly so, as it is in a league by itself.


I also like the Canson MiTentes papers - another work horse, as well as printmaking papers such as BFK Rives and Stonehenge for calligraphy or decorating to use for collage. Because I like to control every aspect of the creative process, all my collage papers are handpainted. Over the years, I have accumulated large boxes of painted papers which I have often shared with other artists. I have also used these papers for paper weaving, collaging boxes and creating colorful paper mobiles. Other papers used include a multitude of rice papers and unsual textured papers.


In future posts, I will talk about some of the techniques I have used for decorating and altering paper. As soon as my photographer friend arrives, I will be posting calligraphic and collage work as well as newer paintings.

No comments: