Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Necessity of Beauty

Note: There are seven new Haiku poems posted on the sidebar.

This post was inspired by my recent visit to the Matthaei Botanical Gardens here in Ann Arbor, particularly the section of tropical flowers, plants and trees in the conservatory. Thriving in a simulated environment of high humidity among a fountain of Koi fish and natural rock paths were all manner of bougainvillea. There were far too many names to remember. However, I did remember the Sausage Tree in the tropical section and the Jade Tree in the desert section. On the grounds, some of the trees that captivated me were the Kousa Dogwood, Paperbark Tree and European Hawthorn.

I was unprepared to be completely overwhelmed and in awe of the breath-taking beauty before me. The sense of joy I felt was mentioned in a nearby sign regarding the miracle of the natural world, punctuating my feeling of being in the midst of a unique experience.

New acquaintances here in Ann Arbor had urged me to go see the gardens, but I never seemed to find the time. I am so glad that I went there, because I felt peaceful and happy the rest of the week.

Being among such wonders makes me think about how important it is for us to view beauty on a regular basis, and how necessary it is to our well-being. While it is true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, few would disagree that the beauty found in nature is exceptional.

Some other things I find beautiful are: A baby's smile (especially when received across a crowded room); the form of horses, cats and dogs; people (especially when people-watching); a well-tailored garment; a lovely piece of fabric; a beautiful room; a fine painting; classical music, and of course, the form of a tree. No two trees are alike, with the texture of the bark, the configuration of the branches and the color of the leaves making each one unique. The same is true of people.

God made each person unique. It is this uniqueness that I find so attractive, as most people are physically beautiful. If you get to know them, the nature of their spirit show in their faces, revealing their inner selves. Perhaps one of the reasons we become artists is because we find beauty in so many things.

"Thank you, God, for beauty and for allowing me to appreciate beauty every day. In many ways, it makes life better."

4 comments:

Leslie Avon Miller said...

I just read your poem, Arrival. I am so pleased by your words. Lovely, true and peaceful. After all, besides love what is there but time really?

Georgette Jones said...

Thanks for your comment,Leslie. I posted this poem because some people told me they could relate to it.

Daughter of Wisdom said...

God has given us so much beauty to enjoy and be thankful for. What a precious gift! I truly enjoy your presentations.

Georgette Jones said...

Thank you, Daughter of Wisdom, I enjoy what you share, as well.