Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Recommended Art Book #1: Sonia Delauney, The Life of an Artist/ A Personal Biography Based on Unpublished Private Journals

Sonia Delauney was the wife of famous abstract artist, Robert Delauney. Born in Odessa in the Ukraine in 1885, she painted in a style called Orphic Cubism. Additionally, she designed costumes and dresses for commercial venues. Because she was one of the main supporters of her husband's career, she did not promote her own paintings until after his death. She finally gained recognition for her work in later years. She died in 1979 at the age of ninety-four, continuing to paint until that time.

This was one of the best biographies that I've ever read about a woman artist. I identified with Sonia because I started my own art career late - at age forty, and although I have sold hundreds of paintings, I have found the going steady, but slow. I enjoyed the book because it presented so many details about Sonia's life, and for the wonderful color plates of both her and Robert's work. There are also many black and white photos of the couple's everday life. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading famous artists' biographies.

No comments: